If you need to hook into the UFO boot process super early on, UFO boot hooks are designed for that.
- They run very early in the UFO boot process.
- They are useful for setting shared global values like env vars.
- Boot hooks are ruby files that get required. It’s nice and simple. There’s no interface to learn.
UFO will search 2 files in the
config folder. If the files exist, they will be run in this order.
- config/boot.rb: Always runs.
- config/boot/UFO_ENV.rb: Runs based on the env. IE:
Both files are required and run if they both exist. Since the
UFO_ENV one runs second, it can be used to override previously set values.
Example: Default UFO_ENV
If you prefer a different default than
ENV['UFO_ENV'] ||= 'prod'
This changes the default for everyone using the project but still allows them to control the default by adding
export UFO_ENV=dev to their
Example: Auto-Switch AWS_PROFILE
One useful example is switching
AWS_PROFILE based on the
ENV['AWS_PROFILE'] = 'dev'
This example is for
AWS_PROFILE, but you can do similar switch logic with other env vars, etc.
Please refer to the boot source code for more details: ufo/booter.rb